BATON ROUGE, La. — Disaster Legal Services (DLS) provides free legal assistance to low-
income hurricane survivors who cannot afford to hire a lawyer after a disaster.
Members of the American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division advise and provide legal
representation at no charge. There are certain limitations. Assistance is not available for
cases that will produce a fee (i.e., cases where fees are paid as part of a court settlement).
DSL has assisted thousands of survivors with disaster-recovery problems including:
▪ Insurance claims for doctor and hospital bills;
▪ Claims for property loss or loss of life;
▪ Drawing up new wills or other legal papers;
▪ Help with home repair contracts and contractors; and
▪ Advice on problems with landlords.
▪ Transferring Title to Property
To request legal help through DLS, call 1-800-310-7029 or visit www.fema.gov or
To see if you live in a disaster-declared parish, visit: https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4570.
For the latest information on Hurricane Laura, visit fema.gov/disaster/4559. Or, for
Hurricane Delta, visit fema.gov/disaster/4570. Follow the FEMA Region 6 Twitter
account at twitter.com/FEMARegion6