Funding may become available to mitigate structures in Cameron Parish through the FEMA-funded Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP). The Parish is in the early stages of applying for long-term recovery funds which, if awarded, may not be available to property owners until the last quarter of 2021. All substantially damaged properties will be required to bring their home into compliance with flood zone regulations through the permit process — either through elevating existing structures or rebuiling at higher elevation levels. It is our hope that HMGP funds will ease to burden of elevating or rebuilding homes throughout our community.
Here’s a summary about program eligibility and funding that may become available:
- Cameron Parish is looking to identify property owners who may be interested in participating in a mitigation program to elevate or rebuild their home.
- Eligibility will be determined on a case-by-case basis following federal guidelines.
- Substantially damaged structures must be brought into compliance with all current building code and flood zone requirements.
- Duplication of benefits will be determined on a case-by-case basis — and could come from flood insurance and/or homeowners insurance claims. (FEMA does not pay for damage that is covered by insurance claims.)
- Federal guidelines require that an applicant must have owned both the structure and the land at the time of loss in order to be eligible for funding.
- Elevations are eligible to receive 75% of the total project cost paid for by the federal funds. The remaining 25% of the total project cost is paid by the property owner.
- Reconstructions are eligible to receive 75% of the total project cost — up to $150,000 — paid for by the federal funds. The propety owner pays the remaining 25% of the total project cost — plus any costs exceeding the $150,000 federal program cap. (Example: On a $150,000 reconstruction, the resident contributes $37,500 of their own funds.)
If you are interested in participating in a mitigation program to either elevate or rebuild your home, please fill out the enclosed Voluntary Participation Agreement (VPA) form and return it no later than the close of business Monday, March 1, 2021.
This program is strictly voluntary. Participation can be withdrawn at any time. Please keep in mind that this is an application process — there is no guarantee that Cameron Parish will receive funding and no timetable set for funds to be distributed.
Please return the enclosed VPA to …
Cameron Parish Police Jury, 148 Smith Circle, Cameron LA 70631
… no later than Monday, March 1, 2021.
If you have any questions, please call Katie Armentor at (337) 775-5718.