Houses of Worship and Non-Profits are eligible to apply for FEMA Public Assistance. (Public Assistance will only allow expenses not covered by your insurance companies) The instructions on how to apply are below but if they need assistance please encourage people to come to my scheduled office hours and I will help them apply.

How to submit Request for Public Assistance (RPA)

  1. Go to website:
  2. If you are a first-time applicant for FEMA Public Assistance:
    • Click on the APPLY NOW button on the home screen (red banner)
    • Follow the “New User” instructions
    • You will receive and email from with your login credentials. Once received and logged in follow the instructions below.
  3. If/when you have an existing LAPA account:
    • Login to your Account.
    • After login, go to the Applicant You Represent Box on the right of the screen and click the New Request for Assistance link.
    • A Create New Request for Assistance Box will open.
    • In the Grant field select the disaster (for Barry, the DR# is DR-4458).
    • Next select a user from the drop down field or create a new one in the Primary, Alternate and Authorized Contact fields.
    • If you are a PNP, you must fill out the PNP questionnaire that appears in your form. PNPs are required to submit the following information with their RPA: proof of Tax exempt status and the organization’s articles of incorporation, charter or by laws. These items should be scanned and attached to your RPA.
    • Click Create once you have completed the form.


  1. Your DUNS needs to be registered with The following link provides instructions on how to register with Quick Guide for Grants Registrations.
  2. The following additional documents are required if your entity is a Private Non-Profit (PNP)
    a) Charter/Bylaws/Articles of Incorporation—The legal documents that describe who you are and what you do and how you do it
    b) PNP Questionnaire—this is a questionnaire that needs to be completed during the RPA process.
    c) Proof of Tax-Exempt status—This is in the form of your determination letter from the IRS or evidence from the La. Secretary of State’s office that shows you are an active in good standing (at the time of the disaster) operating under State law.

Additional information, State forms, and frequently asked questions can be found by visiting LAPA Resources:

If you have questions, please contact your State Applicant Liaison (SAL) or feel free to utilize the following help email boxes:

Grants Management:

Regarding contract procurement:

Requests for Public Assistance:

Regarding help with the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU):