Houses of Worship- Public Assistance (PA)

FEMA announced on January 2, 2018, that PNP HOWs are eligible for disaster assistance without regard to their secular or religious nature. These changes are effective for disasters declared on or after August 23, 2017.

As with other non-critical PNPs under the Stafford Act, FEMA financial assistance for the repair or replacement of a PNP HOW facility is limited to costs that a loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will not cover. PNP HOWs must apply to the SBA for a loan for permanent work, as required by the Stafford Act. FEMA may provide financial assistance if the PNP HOW is denied a loan or if the loan authorized is insufficient to cover repair or replacement costs.

Louisiana receives Major Disaster Declaration for Hurricane Laura

The State of Louisiana received a federal major Disaster Declaration authorizing FEMA Public Assistance Funding related to Hurricane Laura. The FEMA declaration issued on August 28, 2020 is DR-4559. The incident period began on August 22 to August 27, 2020. FEMA has authorized to provide Public Assistance funding at a 75% cost share for emergency protective measures (Category B) in all 64 Louisiana parishes. FEMA has also authorized to provide Public Assistance funding at a 75% cost share for debris removal in Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, Jefferson Davis and Vernon. On September 4, 2020 the disaster declaration was amended to provide Public Assistance funding at a 75% cost share for Permanent Work (Categories C-G) for the following parishes: Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, Jefferson Davis and Vernon

Requests for Public Assistance (RPA) can be submitted by going to and clicking the large red banner. Then simply follow the online instructions as it pertains to your entity. Current deadline to submit your RPA is 30 days from the declaration date which is September 27, 2020. How to submit Request for Public Assistance (RPA)

1. Go to our website:
2. If you are a first-time applicant for FEMA Public Assistance:

Click on the APPLY NOW button on the home screen (red banner), Follow the “New User” instructions

•You will receive an email from with your login credentials. Once received and logged in follow the instructions below.

3. If/when you have an existing LAPA account:

Login to your Account.

• After login, go to the Applicant You Represent Box on the right of the screen and click the New Request for Assistance link.

• A Create New Request for Assistance Box will open.

•In the Grant field select the disaster (for Barry, the DR# is DR-4458).

•Next select a user from the drop down field or create a new one in the Primary, Alternate and Authorized Contact fields.

•If you are a PNP, you must fill out the PNP questionnaire that appears in your form. PNPs are required to submit the following information with their RPA: proof of Tax exempt status and the organization’s articles of incorporation, charter or by laws. These items should be scanned and attached to your RPA.

• Click Create once you have completed the form.


1. Your DUNS needs to be registered with The following link provides instructions on how to register Quick Guide for Grants Registrations.

2. The following additional documents are required if your entity is a Private Non-Profit (PNP)

a) Charter/Bylaws/Articles of Incorporation—The legal documents that describe who you are and what you do and how you do it

b)PNP Questionnaire—this is a questionnaire that needs to be completed during the RPA process.

c)Proof of Tax-Exempt status—This is in the form of your determination letter from theIRS or evidence from the La. Secretary of State’s office that shows you are an active in good standing (at the time of the disaster) operating under State law.

Additional information, State forms, and frequently asked questions can be found by visiting LAPA Resources:

If you have questions, please contact your State Applicant Liaison (SAL) or feel free to utilize the following help email boxes:

Regarding contract procurement:
Requests for Public
Regarding help with the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU):